Monday, March 17, 2014

To truly relax; playa esteron

My two days and three nights a Tortuga Verde in Playa Esteron were magical. If anyone knows me well, they know that the one thing I have a very hard time doing is relaxing. Even when I am relaxing, I am getting up and down, mind is going in every direction, and I am usually trying to find some excursion or another to go on. From the moment I arrived at the Tortuga Verde hostel, I felt as if I had not a care in the world.

Immediately after putting my stuff down I met a girl from El Salvador. Although my Spanish is very broken, I was about to have a really nice conversation (all In Spanish) with her over two beers and a walk towards the sunset. We talked about jobs, education, and travel and even got into a little bit about the politics of education. I knew that how I was saying things was not always correct and I didn't always use the correct tense, but it was so fulfilling to know that I was able to speak and understand enough to talk to and really get to know this person. After the sunset we sat for dinner and two others joined us. That is when things got a lot more difficult for me. It takes a great deal of concentration to keep up with one person, but adding two more Spanish speakers into the mix (and of course a couple more beers) made me quite tired. After trying to keep up with conversation for an hour or so, I was exhausted!

There are so many things that I want to say about this beach, as I am spilling over with love for the place. It was such an amazing feeling to walk down the beach and be seemingly the only one on the beach for miles. Even though there were many people in the hostel, if I wanted to be alone to reflect or relax, it felt as if no one else existed in that place at that time. On my beach walks, I could look at the waves as they unearthed dozens of sea snails and watch as each snail rushed to dig themselves back into the sand, just to be uncovered once again by the incoming wave. I watched as the sea slugs slowly made their pathways in the sand in a meandering route much like that of mine at the beach, a route you only have the ability to make if you have all the time in the world with nowhere to be. What a wonderful feeling!

On the other hand, the times that I wanted to be social, there were many amazing people to get to know. What is so wonderful about traveling is the sense of openness I have within myself as well as the openness and connections I receive from others. At Tortuga Verde I was lucky enough to make some wonderful friendships and to find many people to continue on with when traveling to my next stop, Leon!

No comments:

Post a Comment