Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Thailand...I can already tell you are going to be good to me!

Oh man, what a crazy first couple of days! Yesterday was a FULL day of flying. In total I flew for 19 hours and had layovers for about 8 hours all together with a long trip through immigration and customs. However, for how long the trip was and how dirty and smelly I was at the end of it all, I have to say that it was my best experience I have had traveling outside of  the states. All of the airport staff in all of my stops in Asia were phenomenal. When I looked lost, they asked me how they can help. The immigration workers were nice (quite the opposite of my experience in any other country I have been in so far), and the woman who checked my ticket and ID in Bangkok even said, "beautiful traveler, enjoy your flight"...I almost didn't hear what she said because I couldn't believe it! However my favorite thing that I have experienced on my flights to and through Asia this far has to be the calming music that they play for the landing. Why hasn't anyone else thought of that?? The landing is my LEAST favorite part of the ride and for some reason when the soft, calm music came on...well how can everything not be ok :)

Oh so I do have to interject here  and say (in light of changing my blog name to the "clumsy nomad") that I did have a little "Danielle hiccup" when I was at JFK airport in NYC. Not only did I go to the wrong terminal at first, when I tried to fix it, I took the air tram the wrong way and ended up outside of the airport! An easy fix and I had quite a bit of time to spare....but still, what a start! 

Anyway, back to Thailand. My first impressions of Chaing Mai are wonderful. It is a cute city with streets full of street venders and parks full of life. Everything, even from the back seat of a cab..which is really the only way I have been able to see so far...seems peaceful. The roads are filled with cars and mopeds, yet everyone shares the road and no one honks!!! This is a VERY new thing to me....usually the scariest thing for me is always getting in a car where  ever I am. Another huge difference from here and the places that I have visited in Central America, Mexico, and Africa, is that the cab drivers don't all try to grab your arm and your bags tearing you different directions to make you go with them. My cab experience was so peaceful and easy, I couldn't believe it. I wonder if the rest of Asia will be like this too. 

With ease, we found the hostel and I met up with my friends and heard about all about their travels and their crazy experiences so far and it really made me get pumped for all that is in store for my future. We were able to get a room with three beds at this cute hostel for only 4 american dollars a night each! It is actually one of the nicest hostels I have stayed at anywhere and a really great way to begin my travels! There is even a cute hostel dog named Blue :)

(so I have pitures to put here of the hostel, but I can't figure out how to post them. Once I figure it out, I will repost)

I am really excited for today! We are going to go hang  out with some baby tigers and tomorrow the plan is to go bathe and ride elephants!!! Lots of pictures to follow!

I feel so blessed and lucky to be able to be here. And so happy that I didn't back out. From where I'm sitting I have to say, life is pretty perfect...there is only one thing that could make it even better.. 

Thai words of the day: 
(spelled phonetically and not actually)

Good morning- swa di don chow
Thank you- Kap Kun Ka

1 comment:

  1. Kap Kun Ka for that story. It was fun. You're fun. Can't wait for more friend.

    ReplyDelete