Friday, February 10, 2012

definitely living up to the name...clumsy nomad...

It's kind of a which came first question...am I slowly (actually, quite quickly) falling apart because of how I titled my blog, or did I just title my blog spot on? I already know the answer...I was definitely clumsy BEFORE the blog title, but I sure am doing really well living up to it!!

It is (haha I actually don't know what day of the week it is) morning and I  am just about to leave a small town called Krabi on my way to Tonsai beach, which Dani and Morgan suggested  to me and  that is known for its awesome rock climbing. Although I am quite  sick and banged up...I will explain..I am super excited to try my hand at rock climbing! 

So I know that there are a lot of holes in my travels and I plan on (hopefully) filling  those  gaps in about a week. In Cambodia I was busy day after day  seeing the beautiful ruins of Angkor Wat and learning about the horrible history of the Khmer Rouge. Then in my small stop over in Battenbang, Cambodia I began to get sick. I was so bummed because I was on my way to scuba dive, an activity where it is really important that you are healthy, especially in the ear and sinus area. Low and behold, I was developing an ear infection!!! 

However, I was in Koh Tao and by golly I was going to scuba dive if it killed me! So the first day I got there I went to the doctor and  got antibiotics and took it easy. I had  an amazing package at  Big Blue Scuba Resort (I definitely suggest  it!) where I got 12 dives and 5  nights accommodation for about 240 US dollars!! So the next day it was time to suck it up and  dive. In the next 3 days I  did 11 dives, 9 of them I felt great, the last two I should not have done...from there I felt  worse than when I started. But, IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT!! 

Time to  leave  Koh Tao and super sick, I took the night boat out. Just before I was about to get on the boat I realized I didn't buy more toilet paper. I took all my bags and headed to 7 11.  Thats when it happened...I slid on a dirt patch, my bags flew everywhere...sick, tired, and  hurt...I just sat there and BALLED!!!!  Man, I have never wanted to be home and around familiar people  more than I did at that moment! 

But, in all this I have seen how incredibly nice people genuinely are. As I sat there crying and bleeding, a nice woman gave me all of her Ibuprofen and two  Thai  men and two Thai women rushed over and sat me down, carried my bags over, cleaned my wounds, and bandaged me up. Even though I was alone, I was really not alone after all. I was able to make the best of the situation, get onto the night boat, and fall asleep knowing tomorrow would be another day. 

And it is! Clumsy and silly, bandaged and sick, I am rock climbing if it kills me!!! :)

(Don't worry mom, it won't actually kill me. I promise!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment