Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Rolling with the punches!

Thinking that my trip to Thailand had come to a close and that it was  all downhill  from here, I hung out in Ao Nang a nice beach town yesterday afternoon, waiting until  3:00 when I was to meet my bus to Bangkok. I arrived early just to make sure that I could get a boat over in time and happily checked out the town, big bag and all. I got some nice lunch, caught up on emails, had a beer...things  couldn't possibly go any better...or so I thought.

Three o'clock rolls around...waiting...3:30...still waiting....4:00...ok it is "Thai time",   I thought to  myself, but I don't think  they are coming. I went to the tourist travel help and they said they didn't know. Unfortunately, I bought my ticket in Krabi town before I left for Tonsai and there was no one I could talk to. Frustrated, sweaty, and feeling a bit helpless I had to suck it all up and decide what to do. No matter what I did, I was definitely out the 500 Bhat that I paid for the ticket in the first place and I also definitely had no easy way to get to Bangkok. I had to realize that I am the only one who can do anything about the situation and that crying or being angry (although I did do a bit of both) won't get me anywhere. I also had to realize  that there will be no one around to feel sorry for me so there is no use in feeling sorry for myself. Man were these all VERY hard things to do, but I thought about my situation and weighed my options. It was Tuesday and I fly out on Thursday. It takes a day to get to Bangkok.  

Option one: I could take a taxi for 400 Bhat and go to the  bus station, which still might not be in time to get a bus that night and then I might not know where to stay...

Option two: I find a hotel for the night in Ao Nang for the night and buy another ticket from a agency in Ao Nang for the next night and as long as all goes well I arrive in Bangkok the morning of my flight with enough time to get to the airport.

I decide on option two and take all of my bags down the street looking for an affordable  hostel. By this time it is already around 5pm and most everything is full. Not giving up (because I can't) I find a nice room for 500 Bhat.  A bit pricy, but ended up being very nice with really wonderful, friendly staff who didn't speak much English, but somehow made me feel much better. The town itself was also very nice and probably the best place for this crappy situation.
 
I will now try again and hopefully, especially for the sake of my flight arrive in Bangkok by tomorrow morning. Just when you forget that it can be very hard to travel....you are thrown another curve ball...but, hey, that's the fun of it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment