Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Another chapter comes to a close and into the Outback I go!

I have spent the last three weeks with Dave and Warren in Australia. It was such a wonderful experience and they took such good care of me! We have camped, hug out with their families, partied, BBQed, did all the necessary sightseeing...you name it, we did it!

 And now, as I am sitting in the Sydney airport about to fly to Ayers Rock and they are continuing their drive to Brisbane, I am left with a happy yet sad feeling. I didn't know what to expect when I stepped off the plane in Melbourne 3 weeks ago, but any expectations I did have for this leg of my trip have not only been met, but greatly surpassed! I am so happy for all the great times we had and the time that we were able to spend together. It is not everyday that you meet such amazing people. I met them in Seattle while they were traveling the United States and Canada and we had talked about meeting up in Australia. Often I talk to people about meeting up here or there, but rarely do we go through with it and even more rarely with such ease traveling together...it was really an amazing experience. Thus, bringing me to the sad part. Saying goodbye made me a little teary-eyed! It's OK though, it just means I will have to go visit them on their next adventure in the UK! 

The last days with the boys were in Sydney for Marti Gras....WHAT A PARTY! When they had first told me about the event, I didn't really know what I was getting into, but thought...marti gras in Sydney, why not...little did I know it was going to be the happiest, sweatiest, dance until my feet fall off, gay celebration I will ever go to! All I have to say is WOW. 

Sydney: The most beautiful and quaint city I have run into so far. We were lucky with a couple beautiful days to explore the city. The Sydney harbor is everything that the pictures and postcards say it is. The crystal clear waters, beautiful artistic Oprah house, cute historical buildings, and as many surf beaches as you can dream of having in a city, definitely make it one to put in the books.  I even ate a kangaroo burger! I have seen snakes, spiders, and about 30 koalas, but no kangaroo! I thought if I haven't seen one I might as well eat one...and it's not so bad. (Hopefully I will see a real kangaroo in my days in the outback).

Now I am off on my own again and going through the old routine of nerves and fears and excitement. I call this a new chapter because I feel that my trip is split into 3 parts, with traveling with the boys being one part on its own. It is hard to put in words, but living these experiences back to back I am really able to uncover how my body reacts to the different situations of traveling alone and traveling with friends.  I also feel that through this I am able to know myself more and control my feelings and actions...I don't know if that makes sense. 

I arrived yesterday to a place called Ayers Rock (which is what I came all this way to see) and before I embark on my 3 day swag trip I am staying the night at the Ayers Rock Resort. I almost feel as though I am in the Truman Show in this resort. Ayers Rock is a gigantic natural rock formation in the middle of the outback. Since there is nothing, I mean nothing, else around, they built a huge, almost city like, resort near the natural wonder to accommodate all the tourists . I feel as though I am stuck in a fake reality smack dab in the middle of nowhere! It's bizarrely fun yet unnerving.  

Now it is the morning I leave for my outback adventure and I am writing this blog over a coffee in this weird little resort oasis in the middle of a huge barren desert and for the first time since I arrived yesterday, I am relaxed. My advice to myself, which I hope I can master by the time I get home...enjoy the moment! Don't think, don't worry, just enjoy. On my trip so far I have found that I worry about so many things even though I have nothing that I need to worry about. I think...ok, I know, that it is in my nature to always have to be moving, worrying, planning, but doing that takes away so much from life. I am about to sleep under a complete horizon to horizon stretch of the most amazing southern sky stars that I will probably ever see in my life. My challenge that I am giving myself, clear my mind of worries, fears, and thoughts of what is going to come next. Just enjoy the experience....

See you in three days!

No comments:

Post a Comment