Saturday, March 31, 2012

Leaving sunny quiet Mui Ne for the rainy college party scene of Nha Trang?

My last few days  in Mui Ne were good ones! Spent the morning lazing around at the beach while waiting for the wind to pick up to do some kite surfing. Kite surfing mid afternoon, a little yoga in the early evening and then some dinner and relaxing by the beach. Honestly, life couldn't get much better. After the constant dormitory style hostels during my stay in Australia, my small private bungalow, my book (I started reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, and I am already on the third...sooo  good), and the beach made Mui Ne the perfect stop at the perfect time in my journey in Vietnam. 

However, my being sick has kept me on a bit of a tight schedule and I must continue north. My next stop would be Nha Trang, another beach town a bit more bustley  but  said to still be very nice. What I did not think to consider is the weather in Nha Trang. Apparently when Nha Trang gets the rain, Mui Ne only gets wind and waves. Low and behold I arrived to a very rainy Nha Trang and stayed at a very loud hostel. I decided that this wasn't quite the Vietnam that I wanted to see (although I met some nice people and played a very silly drinking game at the local bar) so I booked a boat trip for the next  day and a night bus out to my next destination Hoi An for the next night. 

After the boat trip, which ended up being a great time, I had to  find my bus booking office. This is always interesting because I got my open ended bus ticket while lost in Saigon so I ended up with the local bus  service rather than the tourist one. This means that it is always an adventure to find the booking office, but I really enjoy the journey and feel that it actually gives me a great way to see the more real side of whatever city or town I  am in. This unexpected journey ended up being my favorite part of my stay in Nha Trang!

In this case I set out with all of my bags in the rain in search of the office. I had a great time! Along the way I met a very friendly 14 year old school girl who, although she did not speak much English, smiled and shared her umbrella with me as we walked and she led me in the right direction. I smiled and returned waves from children, was the photographer for a family shot  of 30 by  the beach, and even joined in  for countless photos with more peace signs than I can count with various family members. I also, finally, found  a place where they do not give you a menu or ask what you want, but instead just fill your plate for 10,000 dong...a true vietnamese dining experience! 

And the authentic experience did not end there! Unlike the tourist busses that are not only nicer, but only fit the amount of people intended for the sleeper seats, these busses cram people on the floor isles where ever they could find space. Where there are  only 3 usable seats, we slept 5 across like sardines in a can. With the exception that they did not stop for a bathroom break for 10 hours of the journey, it was a truly cultural experience I was very happy to be part of! 

It is now nearing the end of my first day of two in Hoi An and I really love the city! Not only am I rooming with an great, down to earth girl from England, but the town itself is so cute  and quaint. It has a nice french influence while still keeping true to its Vietnamese roots. The market is situated right  by the river and there is nothing better than grabbing a fresh brewed beer for 4000 dong (20 cents) and watching the market in full swing. Vendors selling fruits, vegetables, fish, and lots of small trinkets. Push carts and bamboo balances filled with all different types of food, men and woman coming on and off the river faery on their way home. My favorite thing to do when I travel is to observe the people of the country going about their every day lives. Hoi An is such a wonderful place for such observation. Tomorrow, motorbike to the marble mountains then a bike ride through the village...very excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment