Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ah, Ha Long Bay

What a beautiful, relaxing wonder of nature! Ha Long Bay is an area of north Vietnam full of hundreds of limestone cliffs jutting out of the water. Right now it is 6 am and I have woken early to sit on the rooftop of the sleeper boat and take time to fully take in and experience where I am. In my travels, I have discovered  how much I love the morning time. The quietness, the beauty of watching everyone wake up and begin their morning routines...I just love it! 

My boat is sitting smack dab in a clearing of water with the limestone cliffs surrounding me entirely. There was a light rain last night so the mist is covering the tops and all the cliffs in the distance to give a mystical, magical feeling. Other than the sounds of the boat motors (we haven't been moving for about 12 hours now, I don't know why they don't turn them off) it is complete serenity. There is a small fishing village on the water to my right. Hearing their soft hum of of music, a man cleans his nets in the water after throwing them in already this morning. Another, in a small row boat, is fishing to my left. Everyone beginning to wake up and feel the morning air outside before beginning the days chores. 

Yesterday the sun was peaking through the clouds, so we were able to see Ha Long in all of its beauty, but today it is a bit rainy so the cliffs are covered in a thick layer of mist. I feel really lucky for this weather because it is really amazing to see it in both of these ways. So amazing to experience something that is so beautiful in the sun, yet is still so beautiful in the rain. 

The day  continued with a hike on Cat Ba island. This hike was led by a very cute, very old local woman. It is so incredible when women and men, so elderly, can hike great lengths and work so hard. It really shows what the body  is made of if you just let it. The hike was amazing and invigorating and verrrry muddy and slippery. At the top of the mountain was the most beautiful view  of the tops of mist covered trees. Sometimes I have to really stop and think about how blessed I am for  being able to see so many beautiful things  as  I am getting to see on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment