Friday, October 28, 2011

First part of my trip booked! Connecticut- Thailand- Australia!

I did it! I booked my ticket yesterday and now there is absolutely NO turning back! I didn't even get the trip insurance lol. I know that I probably should have looked a bit more into the different options, but I did check several websites and I just couldn't wait any more!! My itinerary is below and the ticket only came out to  $1,539.63. For three flights and traveling so far, I am really impressed with the price.






Flight 1: Wednesday, January 4, 2012

JetBlue Airways 82 Economy  |  Airbus Industrie A320 (320) |  5hr 10min |  2406 miles
Depart:9:15pmSeattle, WA  Seattle/Tacoma Intl (SEA)
Arrive:5:25amNew York, NY  New York John F Kennedy Intl (JFK)
   
This is an overnight flight.

Flight 2: Monday, January 16, 2012

American Airlines 6087 Economy  |  Boeing 777-300 (773) |  Refreshments |  16hr 10min |  8055 miles
Operated by: CATHAY PACIFIC -- CX 845. Please check in with the operating carrier.
Depart:12:20amNew York, NY  New York John F Kennedy Intl (JFK)
Arrive:5:30amHong Kong, Hong Kong Hong Kong Int'l (HKG)
   
Change planes. Time between flights: 3hr 40min
Cathay Pacific 713 Economy  |  Boeing 777-300 (773) |  2hr 55min |  1049 miles
Depart:9:10amHong Kong, Hong Kong Hong Kong Int'l (HKG)
Arrive:11:05amBangkok, Thailand Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport (BKK)
   
This is an overnight flight.
Total duration: 22hr 45min | Total miles: 9104 miles

Flight 3: Thursday, February 16, 2012

Malaysia Airlines 789 Economy  |  Boeing 737-800 Passenger (738) |  2hr 10min |  754 miles
Depart:2:15pmBangkok, Thailand Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport (BKK)
Arrive:5:25pmKuala Lumpur, Malaysia Kuala Lumpur Int'l (KUL)
   
Change planes. Time between flights: 4hr 25min
Malaysia Airlines 149 Economy  |  Airbus Industrie A330-300 (333) |  8hr 15min |  3938 miles
Depart:9:50pmKuala Lumpur, Malaysia Kuala Lumpur Int'l (KUL)
Arrive:9:05amMelbourne, Australia Melbourne Tullamarine (MEL)
   
This is an overnight flight.
This trip starts and ends at different airports.
Total duration: 14hr 50min | Total miles: 4692 miles


After the excitement set in I started really thinking about the trip and I got a little nervous that I did not think about whether or not I would need an exit ticket to get a visa for Australia. I often do this to myself. I don't always think things through as much as a should and sometimes I am really awful at doing all of the research that is needed. I am definitely a 'fly by the seat of my pants' kind of person and sometimes that can be my biggest downfall. When I started thinking about this possible problem, I already had my ticket and I was already at work so I couldn't do anything to even look into whether or not I needed a return ticket for a visa. 

Today I went to the Australian Embassy website and was very relieved when I saw that I could just apply for my visa online. All I needed was a valid passport and I can stay in Australia for up to 3 months as a tourist. No return ticket necessary!! This was perfect. All necessary information given and 20 Australian dollars, and 20 seconds later I have an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) to go to Australia for up to 3 months. I could actually stay for up to 12 months in 3 month increments if I really wanted to! And the best part about this is that everything is done electronically so all I have to do is go to the airport and they will see that I have gotten the OK right there on their computer screen! How easy is that!


So with that problem solved, I now have to look into my next (and really 1st issue). As a  US citizen, I can stay in Thailand for up to 30 days without a visa. I, without thinking and kicking myself now, booked my flight 31 days apart!!! I will get back to you about what I will do with this issue...UGH! Sometimes I never cease to amaze myself!


*For future travelers:


I am getting all of this information from this great website:
 http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_4965.html#T
they brake everything down by country and then you can just click entry/exit requirements for US citizens. I definitely suggest checking this out BEFORE you book any flights! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment