Friday, January 25, 2013

A good nights sleep and a better attitude!

With a single nights sleep, the angst that I was feeling disappeared as quickly as it came. Although many questions/thoughts still go unanswered, I have decided that living the experience in the moment is much more important than coming to any kind of huge realization.

Therefore, with a much better attitude, I got on the chicken bus and headed to my last day of volunteering. I could already feel that this was going to be a great day and that I was going to miss these kids so much. Just as I had imagined on the bus, today ended up being perfect. The kids are really starting to warm up to me. I began to have tiny human attachments on my arms and legs throughout the day. All of the sudden many of their words and requests became clear and we were able to have conversations. I am not sure if this has to do with how my understanding of the Spanish language is improving or if they are speaking more clearly, but either way our connection was on a different level today. To show that they like a teacher they share their lunch with them. A cracker here, a sip of juice there. For the past couple of days I have been watching them share with the main teachers thinking it was so cute. Today, they shared with me 2 crackers and 3 sips of juice, I felt so special. :) During the day I couldn't stand the thought of this being the last time that I visit the school so I decided to come back for one more day on Wednesday, the last day before I return to the States. 

I also had my last Spanish lesson today. I am by no means fluent but I do think these lessons have helped me a lot. My understanding has doubled if not tripled and I have been reminded of all those conjugations and grammar rules I hated the first time around. However, the best thing that I have gotten out of the experience is the renewed desire to learn and be fluent in Spanish! 

This has been one crazy week and I am definitely looking forward to tomorrow for some relaxatio

No comments:

Post a Comment