Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Deep conversations and 3 year old poo poo!

Yesterday afternoon/evening ended up being really interesting. I really got to know both my Spanish teacher as well as my home stay mom. I don't know what it is, but the way that my teacher speaks, I can understand everything she says. We are able to talk about so many things and I love it. Today she was telling me a story of why she has very little female friends and the ones that she does have she is not very close with. She explained that when she was younger she had a boyfriend only because her friends said that's what she should do. Then one night when she was walking her friend home she saw her boyfriend in an alley kissing her best friend! From then on, she never talked to the boy or her "best friend" again and she also never trusted girls. It is just so interesting having talks such as these with the women of Guatemala; it shows that everyone everywhere around the world is very similar and also it is so fascinating to me that I am able to have such conversations in Spanish! 

Then when I came home for dinner tonight, my interesting conversations continued. Maryelsa, the two other girls who are also staying there and I began talking about homosexuality and its acceptance in Guatemala. Maryelsa explained that in Guatemala homosexuality is not really accepted because of the machismo culture as well as the prevalence of religion. She said that there is more acceptance for the younger generation to be gay but no homosexual couple could be caught living together because if they were they would get molested and hurt. It is very sad to hear how hard it is for homosexuals in Guatemala as well as in all of the other Central American countries and in Mexico. I did not share with anyone that I am gay, however I was happy to hear that Maryelsa, herself, does not have a problem with homosexuality. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My time at the preschool today can be described in one word, POOP. Man oh man this experience is sure preparing me for kids! I was wiping butts, changing diapers, and...here's the kicker...I walked into poop on the floor of the boys bathroom. Ay! But even with all of the poop, they are just so adorable. I love being with the kids in the mornings because they have so much energy that it is contagious. They are also all so polite and thankful for me being there. Not to mention that they hang all over me and i get to pinch their cute little cheeks :) It is really turning out to be a great...and very messy...experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment