Friday, January 18, 2013

Antigua, you've won me over!




Yesterday when I arrived in Antigua, I felt kind of like a lost puppy. I arrived around 8 am in a small van and spent a good hour walking around, big bag on my back, looking for a hostel to stay in. I loved Antigua immediately, especially since it reminds me so much of San cristabol de las casas, my favorite little city in southern Mexico. However, Antigua has a characteristic that I am not used to; the doors to everything were very old, VERY large and all shut! For a while I was thinking I would never find a place to sleep and was beginning to buckle to the idea of buying the lonely planet on my kindle to give myself a bit more assistance on the getting around front. Then I stumbled on a very cute place called the gato negro inn with a friendly owner, breakfast included and a cute terrace with full views of the surrounding volcanos. Since Antigua has proved to be much more expensive than expected, I settled with a dorm bed for 65 quetzals or about 9 US dollars. 

My plan was to nap when I got there but the day was nice and I couldn't wait to get out and explore. I was also on a hunt for a volunteer opportunity I had heard about in a home for children with disabilities. Lots of questions and searching got me nowhere with my hunt, but in the end I was really impressed with the amount of Spanish I have retained from high school. On my journey, I ended up stumbling upon a Spanish school and thought I would check it out. Taking Spanish lessons abroad is something that I have always wanted to do. Walking out of the school a half an hour later I had set myself up with a week of one on one Spanish lessons and a week homestay with a Guatemalan family for 230 US dollars. Not really in my 300 dollar spending budget, but I thought what the heck! It was quickly decided that (although Antigua is somewhat of a tourist trap) the bright colored buildings, cobblestone streets, and friendly locals have won me over and I will be spending much of my two weeks in Antigua, with the occasional excursion.

It is now my second day in Antigua, and I am sitting in the parque central, a lively place full of daily activity; Guatemalan men and women relaxing on benches, children playing, Mayan women and children dressed in their traditional garb selling their handmade crafts, birds singing, and travelers taking photographs. Today There is also a special treat of a musician playing what I can only guess is traditional Guatemalan or Mayan music. I feel so full and excited about life right now, but I guess who wouldn't in this quaint, gorgeous city,the wind blowing a soft hum through the trees, the music in the background, so much going on around me, yet still so calm that my head is clear and my thoughts can be free. This break was exactly what I needed to get back to myself and clear my mind. 

This morning I was able to meet my homestay mother, Elsa. It was a real treat. She is a beautiful, friendly woman with two children 20 and 24 and a husband who is an extraordinary painter. Their home is located right on the outskirts of the small city and is so cute, splattered with flowers and plants, with a little terrace with amazing views of the surrounding volcanos. I am excited for Monday to not only improve my Spanish, but also get to know a local family. 

Everything so far has been very relaxing, but adventure is also calling my name. I am about to leave to hike up Pacaya. This is only about an hour hike up but if I'm lucky I will be able to see the active volcano spewing ash and lava! Don't worry everyone, it's safe :) This hike will prepare me for the real deal tomorrow when I hike up Acatenango which is a 6-8 hour hike up. I will be spending the night camping near the top where I will be able to see the stars and experience the sunrise, two of my most favorite things! Last night I heard a horror story of how hard the climb is, but I think I can handle it :)

I will not be able to write again until I return to Antigua Sunday night. Until then, hope everything is well and miss you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment