Monday, January 21, 2013

Sleeping on the summit of volcan Acatenango...yep I can cross that off of my bucket list!

I have just returned from the most amazing most challenging activity that I have ever undertaken. It was just two days ago that I stopped by a small shop in Antigua, Guatemala and spontaneously signed up for a two day, overnight  hike up Volcán Acatenango.  In doing this, I asked no questions. I did not find out how tall the volcano was, what gear I would need to carry up, or how hard the hike was. Following my usual traveling ways, I paid the money and didn't think much more about it until it was 6am Friday morning and I was with the group preparing my bag to depart. 

With a backpack full of 4  1/2 liters of water, a pair of pants, a sleeping bag, a north face, hat, and gloves (all of which I would really appreciate later that night), and my share of the groups camping equipment, we were off. Durning the hour and a half ride my fears grew, but as much as I was sitting there nervous, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. 

My first mistake was assuming that there would be a bathroom at the bottom of the volcano...WRONG! This was apparently not the tourist friendly hike that I had ignorantly assumed it was going to be. By the first 5 minutes of climbing straight uphill in loose dirt (what I can only compare to running in the sand), I knew I was in for a challenge unlike any I have ever done before. This vertical climb lasted for the entire first hour! Very quickly I made friends with three others who collectively and proudly dubbed ourselves "the caboose". I should also mention that the group consisted of 11 people; the guide, 8 boys, and 2 girls, myself being one of them. This should already paint the picture of how crazy I was to go on this hike. 

With each step the hike did not only get easier, it got more and more grueling. The guide said that the first part was the hardest and it would get easier from there. I guess he was right if you consider continuing straight uphill for the entire 7 hours with changing terrain easier. 

However, enough about how difficult this climb was, it's time to talk about how incredibly worth it each painful step was. Hiking up the volcano we went through four different ecosystems. The first was the farm land. This was incredible to see. The Guatemalan people in the village hike straight uphill everyday to farm and the hike is not even the beginning of their work day! It was really incredible and humbling to see the locals pass by as they hiked up with their farm tools or down carrying large piles of wood on their backs. Next we entered the cloud forest. This was probably my favorite part of the hike! It was so beautiful, a jungle filled with tons of green trees, bamboo, and beautiful flowers. My favorite part was listening to the trees blowing in the wind. I think I loved the sound so much  because it reminded me of my childhood town in Connecticut. 

From there we continued on to the alpines, both sub alpine and high alpine where none of the trees are over 6 feet tall. This was also very beautiful and the point where the views from the volcano became spectacular! At this point of the hike my legs felt like jello and they did not want to move any more. Finally there was the volcano itself. 1,363 meters and 7 hours later I made it to the top! It was the most grueling hike and I felt so incredibly accomplished when I reached the top! The view was unlike anything I have ever seen. I felt like I was floating on the clouds. We sat and watched the sunset with active volcan Fuego in the background. 

Wow is all that I can say about the whole experience. This was a test of everything I am and everything I am able to do. That night was freezing but magical. In 10 degree weather I enjoyed a fire, vegetable curry, and star gazing with no light pollution! I didn't think about it at the time I signed up for the trip but this hike was something I can cross off my bucket list. I have always wanted to hike with a backpack and tent on my back and sleep at the top of a mountain. This time I got the added bonus of the mountain be

No comments:

Post a Comment